Call for Engineers!
Help to inspire a future generation!
We are looking to recruit 20 engineers from a wide range of disciplines to take part in an engineering outreach scheme in South Yorkshire supported by Royal Academy of Engineering.
Barnsley is building a new central library and we have received funding through the Royal Academy of Engineering’s Ingenious Award to include a Makerspace within the library. The new space will include a range of maker equipment and resources such as robotics, Lego, 3D printers, micro-controllers and electronics. As part of the project, we want to help engineers to connect with the general public through a series of targeted outreach activities.
Could you help to inspire the next generation of engineers?
What your company or organisation will get by participating:
- Company/organisation recognition including promotion via digital marketing campaign and website
- Use of specially designed outreach activity linked to your area of work
- Your participating engineer/s will be fully qualified STEM Ambassadors to help you promote engineering to future generations
What engineers will get by participating:
- Training in outreach and public engagement
- Collaboration with experts in public engagement to translate your sector of engineering into an interactive outreach activity (free to be used by your organisation for further outreach)
- Enhanced DBS check to allow you to work with children and adults
- Enrolment into the National STEM Ambassador scheme
- Help inspire a future generation of engineers by co-delivering 3 outreach sessions in the new library makerspace.
What we require from each engineer:
- Availability to attend a training and activity development day on Wednesday 18th July 2018 at Digital Media Centre, Barnsley
- Approximately 3 days of your time over a 13 month period (July 2018 – August 2019) including:
- 1 day training and activity development (July – at Barnsley DMC)
- 2hr meeting finalising activity (Sept ‘18 – your place of work/DMC)
- 2hr Confidence builder/practice run sessions
- 3x 2hr activity delivery sessions (Sept ‘18 – Aug ‘19 at Barnsley Library)
- Lots of enthusiasm to engage with the public about your role as an engineer!
- Some evaluation feedback that we need to collect for the funders.
If you would like to take part in the scheme, please complete the application form below or contact Dr Alison Buxton firstname.lastname@example.org
Engineer Application form
|Brief description of the type of engineering your company/organisation is involved in (e.g. aerospace, digital, steel)|
|Confirmation that you can attend the training day on 18th July 2018|
As part of public engagement, it is important to promote engineering as inclusive to all members of society and so, as part of this project we are hoping to recruit a range of engineers to reflect this by acting as role models. To help achieve this, please complete this optional section.
|Route into engineering (apprenticeship, degree apprenticeship, degree etc)|
|Any disability or learning difficulty (inc. dyslexia)|
If you require any further information about the scheme, please contact:
Dr Alison Buxton, email@example.com, 07899 788548
Please return this form to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading Engineer Engagement before 30th June 2018.