Super Simple Slime
Whenever we ask the children what they would like to make at FabLab, the answer is always slime. Luckily here at STEAM Works we’re a little slime obsessed and have a ridiculous number of recipes but here’s our best recipe for simple slime for you to use at home!
- PVA glue (we recommend Scola washable glue)
- Bicarbonate of Soda
- Contact lens solution (must contain boric acid – we recommend Bio true or Boots own)
- Mixing bowl
Now you’ve got you ingredients, how do you make it?
- Cover the bottom of a mixing bowl with PVA glue, there is no perfect amount so do not panic if you throw in a little too much, your slime will be fine.
- Next add 1tsp of bicarbonate of soda.
- Now the fun part, slowly add contact lens solution and mix gradually until you feel the mixture beginning to stiffen.
- Once you feel it pulling away from the sides of the bowl, stick your fingers in, if it’s still really sticky add more contact solution.
- To check your slime is ready , see if you can grab it all in one lump like a dough, if so it’s time to knead. We find its better to roll the slime in a ball and definitely do not squeeze unless you want slime EVERYWHERE.
- Voilà! You have successfully made slime.
If your want to make your slime even more exciting , it’s easy to spice it up !
- For example, try adding glitter by placing some glitter onto a plate and rolling your slime in it.
- Rolling in small foam balls can make bubble slime.
- Dab a highlighter on your slime and massage to change it’s colour.
- Additionally, adding shaving foam can make your slime fluffy and super stretchy.
But how does slime work?
PVA glue is made of polymers, polymers are long chains of the same molecule. When we add boric acid the bonds between the polymers become crosslinked changing the properties of the glue.